What is it like working at HMV?


I was so desperate to leave the food factory that, when they offered voluntary redundancy, I was in the personnel department before you could
blink. After depositing my redundancy cheque in the bank I thought I would take a trip down to the local job-centre to see what else the world had
to offer.

After looking through endless requests for cleaners or dead-end jobs like
the one I had just left, something stood out like a diamond in a bag of nutty
slack. Amongst all the dross was a job that was perfect for me – HMV, the
UK’s top record retailer, was looking for a sales assistant in their Liverpool
branch. “Wow!” I thought. “What an opportunity!”

I was determined to show them that I was the perfect candidate and
promptly hurried home to write my CV, something I had never needed
in my previous job. I also completed and sent off my application form.
A few days later, a letter from HMV landed on my doormat inviting me
for an interview.

I did as much research as I could into Liverpool HMV and even popped
into the store and had a walk around to see if I had any ideas on how I could
contribute to improving it. On the day of the interview I was flummoxed.
What should I wear? A shirt and tie? But, as I had never seen anybody
working in a record shop wearing anything so formal, I decided on the
smart but casual approach.

The interview went well and the manager, Paul Johnson, was quite firm,
although I did seem to gel with him. He asked me to name all of the other
record stores in town, which was not a problem for somebody who bought
lots of vinyl and who would always shop around for the best value. Paul
then asked me to rate the stores in order of merit. It was a tricky question
and I bravely took the decision to be honest, rating HMV next to bottom of
my list. Paul was surprised and told me that most people rated HMV in the
top spot. I explained that my experience of the store was one of less than
great service and unsmiling staff. I also went on to say that if he employed
me all that would change, as I would be so happy you would not be able to remove the smile off my face with Ajax. Paul laughed, and I was later to learn that this had been an excellent answer, as the Liverpool store had not
been performing well and he had been brought in to turn things around. In
fact, in football terms, they were heading for the Nationwide Conference,
being third from bottom in the whole HMV chain.

The next question threw me, as I had never been asked this in any
previous interview, “Do you play football?”

“Yes” I replied. The questions then became more surreal.

“Do you play in the Wirral Sunday League?”

Again the answer was yes, and then it was, “Are you a goalkeeper?” Blimey, I thought, Paul must be psychic, or the HMV football team needed an injection of fresh blood. He then explained that he had been playing a match on the previous Sunday; the score was 2-2, and with one minute to go his team were awarded a corner. The ball was floated towards him; he met it good and true and headed the ball towards the top corner. Just as he turned to celebrate what he thought was the winner, the goalkeeper had leapt up and turned the ball over the bar. “You were that bloody goalkeeper, weren’t you? I knew I’d
seen you before.” He was correct. I was that goalkeeper, and we had a good
laugh about it.

I knew at that moment that I had the job, even though Paul told me over
300 people had applied. It was a good feeling – even though my football
skills had failed to land me employment in my preferred career, they had
helped me to secure a position in my second choice. Sure enough, two days
later Paul phoned to offer me the position of sales assistant at HMV
Liverpool. I was delighted.


Whilst working in the factory I had spent my life wishing it away. I
would look at the clock and think, “only an hour to break-time”, “only
three hours to lunch”, “only eight hours till I get home”, “only three days
to the weekend”, “only six months to my holiday”. I was constantly wishing
for the future. Working at HMV did not feel like a proper job and
each morning I could not wait to start – no more clock-watching for me.
Now I did not want the days to end. Although Paul worked us very hard I
enjoyed every second of it, and on most days we worked twelve hours,
making a big effort to lift our store up the HMV league table. Like me,
most of the staff were new, all brought in to replace the previous team. I
loved working on the counter and soon built up good relationships with
lots of the regular customers.

This was in the days when CDs had just come out. I lost count of the
number of customers who brought back CDs because they could not play
them on their record player. The music industry had marketed CDs so that
many people believed that you could eat your dinner off them and they
would still be playable. This was a blatant untruth.

One day, a chap came into the store demanding a refund. He had bought
a CD and decided to show his mate that you could do anything to it and it
would still play. He had stood on his and skated it around his carpet before
attempting to play it. Needless to say the disc did not play. He told me this
tale and then expected a full refund but, of course, he left empty-handed –
just another customer taken in by the CD hype.

One lady brought back a CD single by Kenny the Kangaroo,
complaining that it jumped. “What did she expect?” we asked. “That’s what
Kangaroos do!” The humour was lost on her and she demanded a refund.
Often you had to be a bit of a detective. People would come in and ask
for “that song off the radio”, and then look surprised that you required
more clues. “Well, it’s a woman” they would say and that normally improved my chances of success by 50 per cent. I recall a lady who asked
for “The Jogging Song” and, after numerous guesses, I realised it was
‘Running Up The Hill’ by Kate Bush. Another guy commented that he had
heard a great song on the radio, and though he didn’t know the title, he
thought the name of the band was something like diarrhoea. I soon deduced
that the band was in fact Dire Straits.


A few great characters worked at HMV, none more so than our two
security guards, Liverpool’s own version of the Keystone Cops, Eddie and
Paul. It never ceased to amaze me how few people they caught, although,
in Eddie’s case, it was easier to understand. He was particularly overweight.
I lost count of the times that someone ran past me whilst I was
serving on the counter with the whole of the Genesis section tucked under
his or her arm, pursued in vain by a wobbling Eddie.
One day a young scally zoomed past me carrying a batch of Bob Marley
LPs. “Quick, Graham, give me a hand!” Eddie shouted, and so we set off in
pursuit. It soon became obvious that we would never catch the young thief.
Suddenly Eddie had a brainwave, no doubt influenced by the American cop
shows he was so fond of. He cupped his hands around his mouth and
shouted in the loudest voice possible, “Hey, you with the Bob Marley
albums, freeze!” Much to Eddie’s surprise the youth failed to drop the
albums to the floor and put his hands on the nearest wall waiting to be
frisked, whilst an old lady standing a few feet away did drop her shopping
and nearly had a heart attack due to the shock.

Each time Eddie failed to catch somebody he would analyse the crime,
looking for reasons as to why the latest youth had escaped. By going on
about it all the time he did not realise that he was just confirming what we
all knew – we had the worst security guard in Liverpool. One day he asked
me if I had any suggestions to help him apprehend more people, but my
unsympathetic response of “lose weight and learn to run faster” was probably
unhelpful.



In hindsight, I don’t think I helped the situation with my choice of
music. Every time he returned, panting from another unsuccessful mission,
I would put the song ‘Something’s Wrong With Eddie’ by Wah! on the
turntable at full volume. Everybody laughed except Eddie. Due to Eddie’s
lack of success it turned out to be the most played record in HMV
Liverpool that year, and I lost count of the amount of copies of that record
I sold. One day Eddie politely stated, “Put that song on one more time and
I will f****** force it down your throat,” and at that point I thought it wise
to stop promoting Wah!

After returning from lunch one day I was advised by Eileen, one of the
young girls who worked at HMV, to go down to the basement because
we had a problem. It was a bit of a shock when I made my way downstairs
to be greeted by a foul-mouthed youth screaming abuse, surrounded by
all of the male members of HMV staff. “Quick, give us a hand,” Eddie bellowed
and I joined the circle, only for the psycho thief to lash out at me
with his feet. Apparently Eddie had somehow caught this guy stealing a
Pink Floyd CD.

It never ceased to amaze me that the same artists were always stolen;
Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Genesis and Frank Zappa. Hardly a week went
by without one of us noticing the whole section of one of these artists
was missing.
It was typical of Eddie – why could he not have caught a little old lady
with a Mozart CD stuck up her jumper, or a young kid? No, he had to
apprehend somebody who made Genghis Khan appear calm and peaceful.
I then made a real mistake – maybe it was nerves, but I smiled. ‘Psycho’
came within an inch of my face and asked what I was smiling about.
“Nothing,” I replied.
“When I get out of this I will track you down, it will be easy to find
where you live and I never forget a face,” said Psycho. “You’re dead,” he
shouted, but it was quite nice of him to offer me a choice. “Would you like
me to strangle you then stamp on your face or would you prefer for me to
slash your throat, behead you and kick your head around like a football?”
Although I was spoilt for choice, I felt silence was the best option, since
none of his suggestions for my imminent demise really appealed. After
what seemed like an age the police finally arrived, handcuffed him and took
him to their van. This didn’t discourage him, and he was still lashing out
and shouting abuse at the police. I felt safe in the knowledge that he would
be put away for a while.

That evening, five friends and I had bought tickets to see Julian Cope
perform at the Pyramid Club in Liverpool town centre – he was one of my
favourite performers and I had seen him play on many occasions. You could
also generally rely on him to do something odd.
When he played the Royal Court in Liverpool he got carried away
dancing, failed to notice the edge of the stage and tumbled into the
orchestra pit. It made no difference – he hardly missed a note as he leapt
back on stage as if nothing had happened. Also, at a gig in Manchester,
Julian noticed a trap door in the ceiling above the stage and thought it
would be a great idea to climb up. It was a surreal sight to see the band keep
playing whilst, out of sight to the crowd, Julian sang the next couple of
songs from somewhere above the ceiling of the stage. The next verse
reduced the crowd to tears of laughter. “Your singer’s stuck in the roof and
can’t get down,” he sang, whilst every now and again popping his head out
of the trap door. Eventually a couple of bouncers came to help him down,
but not before a batch of plaster had fallen from the ceiling, which resulted
in cheers from the crowd.

We were all anticipating another great gig that evening, including one of
my mates from HMV, Steve Wade, who had been part of the ‘ring of fear’
that had encircled ‘Psycho’ earlier in the day. After handing in our tickets
we made our way to the front of the stage where, to my horror, standing
with some equally psychotic-looking mates was the psycho who was unable
to decide whether to behead me or slash my throat. I made Steve aware of
the situation and told our mates we must leave quickly. One of them did
not agree and expressed his opinion in a voice so loud that everybody
including Psycho and his mates must have heard him. Steve and I scampered
off and sadly left our other mates to watch the concert without us.
During this period I was fortunate enough to be able to go to about three
gigs a week. I would spend most Fridays and Saturdays at a famous
Liverpool venue called Eric’s. These were exciting times, and I was able to
see bands like Joy Division, U2, The Jam and The Clash before they really
hit the big time.

The most memorable gig was a band called X-Ray Spex. The performance
was to be recorded by the BBC for a documentary show called Arena,
which was quite an arty show on BBC 2, a sort of South Bank Show for the
working class. The queue to gain admission that night was bigger than
usual. As we were waiting to get in, a lad in front of me was talking to his
girlfriend whilst leaning against a black door. Suddenly the door opened,
and he fell on his backside, which created much mirth amongst the queuing
punters. After the laughter had died down it became clear that this door led
into the club. Everybody waited to see who would be first to venture down
the stairs into the darkened gloom.

I was at the front, and we gradually edged our way down. Although it
was pitch black, we knew we were getting nearer because the noise
emanating from the club was getting louder. As we reached the bottom
we realised there was likely to be trouble, so we quickly went to the bar, bought a drink and drank half of it so it appeared that we had been in the club a while.

I  witnessed  violence one night at the club but sadly it was on me. When the Stranglers played the club. It was the hottest gig I had ever attended and I was at the front, jumping up and down. Halfway through the band’s set I became desperate for a drink to cool me down, but was reluctant to lose my place at the front. I compromised by taking off my T-shirt. So there I was,
topless, swinging my T-shirt over my head to create a welcome draught.
The bouncer at the front did not take too kindly to being showered with
my sweat. But, instead of saying to me, “Excuse me sir, will you please
refrain from swinging your T-shirt above your head?” he just smashed me
in the face. I did not fall back, as the crowd was so packed, but I thought he
had broken my jaw. I was stunned for a few seconds, and as I gathered my
senses, the first thing I noticed was the band’s bass player Jean Jacques
Burnel who was smiling at the incident. Needless to say, I went off The
Stranglers after that.

In comparison, Eddie, our own security man at HMV, was mildmannered
and in no way violent, but he was famous for not catching
thieves, whilst our other security guard Paul did, every now and again,
apprehend somebody. One day I took a phone call from his wife who had
the best excuse ever as to why he would not be coming in that day. “Sorry,
Paul won’t be in today. He’s been arrested for armed robbery on the
Liverpool to London train.” I always thought of him as a really pleasant
guy, and was taken aback to discover that he had been influenced by Ronnie
Biggs. It turned out that he was part of a gang who had attempted to hold
up the train. I never saw Paul again and he was jailed.

We were now down to just the one security guard, but Eddie continued
to show me why he was in the wrong job. During that period the IRA was
still active, and Eddie appointed me official bomb finder. When he asked
me I burst out laughing, but no, he was serious, so each day I had to get on
my hands and knees and search under the record racks for bombs. One day
I crawled out amongst a sea of legs and looked up to find a load of my mates
staring at me. “What are you doing?” they asked.
“I’m looking for bombs,” was my reply, and it must have been five
minutes before the laughter died down.



To help Eddie out, the manager asked Steve Wade if he would assist and
do some security work. This was a masterstroke. Steve just dressed like the
average student, which I suppose was badly, but he was soon rounding up
thieves at an astonishing rate, much to the annoyance of Eddie. As Steve did
not look like a security guard, people would thieve in front of him and, one
day, a potential thief asked Steve if he would keep a lookout for the security
guard whilst he was stuffing Beatles albums into a carrier bag.

Working at HMV you came across many celebrities. I will never forget
the day Cilla Black did a personal appearance. The rep for the record
company had arranged it with Dave, the assistant manager, who then
completely forgot about it. He also forgot to mention it to any other
member of staff. On the morning of the PA (personal appearance) the rep
phoned up to speak with Dave to finalise Cilla’s appearance. Dave did not
let on that we hadn’t promoted it and the rep was left with the impression
that an army of fans would greet Cilla. In a mad panic Dave informed us,
and we hastily scribbled on a white sheet of paper “Here today, signing
copies of her new album at 12pm – Cilla Black”, and put it in the shop
window. It was now 11am, so we had an hour to promote her visit.
When Cilla arrived, she was plonked next to me on the counter to sign
albums for the army of fans who had gathered. The army of fans turned out
to be two old ladies and Mr Adelphi, whose second home was HMV. He
was never out of the store. He was in his late 50s and had worked at the
famous Adelphi Hotel as a bellboy for years. He was delighted to meet
Cilla, and I laughed to myself as he engaged her in conversation about his
hero, Cliff Richard. Luckily, Cilla had stories to tell about Cliff, and it
temporarily kept her mind off the complete absence of a crowd.

My feeble attempts at humour did not go down well with Cilla as I said,
“Surprise, Surprise, I bet you would have thought more people would have
turned up.” She looked at me with a face like thunder – she was not turning
out to be a lorra lorra laughs.

I could see the rep from the record company was embarrassed for Cilla
but, luckily, Dave had a cunning plan. Suddenly six young people came to
the counter all holding copies of Cilla’s album. I recognised every one of
them as HMV staff who worked in the stockroom. Cilla was pleased to sign
the albums and have a chat, even though I think a couple of our YTS
trainees probably had no idea who she was. Whilst this was going on I
noticed Dave sneaking out of the store clutching a batch of albums. Just as
Cilla was signing the last of the albums another group of youngsters
suddenly turned up. Again, I recognised them. They were the staff from
Burger King, which was next to HMV, and two of them hadn’t bothered to
change out of their uniform. They were soon followed by yet another
bunch of youngsters brandishing Cilla albums and this time it was the staff
of TopShop, HMV’s other neighbours.

By the time she had finished I am sure Cilla had a completely distorted
view of what her fanbase was, and she was no doubt convinced that she was
appealing to a young audience. This PA caused endless headaches, as Dave
had given money to everybody to purchase Cilla’s album and then had to
get them all to bring the albums back so he could do a refund. The rep had
sold us Cilla’s album on sale or return for the PA, so after her appearance
we sent them all back. However, the record company refused to credit us,
saying they were damaged stock, as there was writing all over them. Sure
enough there was, but it was Cilla’s autograph and she had written things
like, “To John lorra lorra love Cilla xx”. We put the albums in our sale at
50p as damaged stock.

Another embarrassing incident occurred when a man approached the
counter clutching a batch of CDs and I immediately recognised him as
somebody I knew, but could not quite remember how I knew him. I soon
convinced myself that he was somebody I had played football against and
this was our conversation.
Me: “Hi mate, how is it going?”
“Fine.”
“Are you still playing?”
“Yes, I’m playing tonight.”
“Is it under floodlights?”
“No, at the Royal Court Theatre.”
At that moment I looked at his credit card, which said Declan
McManus, and the penny dropped. It was Elvis Costello, and I had not
recognised him as he was using contact lenses rather than wearing his
trademark glasses. My face was crimson! I couldn’t believe I had asked
him if he was still playing.

Even more embarrassing was the day I persuaded Billy Bragg to do a
personal appearance. Although I had seen him live a few times, he was still
unknown, as he had yet to have anything released. I noticed he was
supporting a Liverpool band called the Icicle Works and was also releasing
a mini-album titled Life’s A Riot. I felt that as he was going to be in town it
would help sales if he came in and signed copies of his LP.
I gave Billy a call but he did not think it would be a good idea, so, using
my persuasive powers, I convinced him it would be a success. I would put
a poster up and play his album constantly to attract interest. Billy came in
on a Saturday afternoon. He turned up and stood by me at the counter
whilst his album blasted out but, unfortunately, Billy was correct; nobody
was interested in his album.

He stood there for half an hour whilst the customers of HMV Liverpool
mistook him for a shop assistant, asking him where the Genesis section
was, or if we stocked classical? Billy took the embarrassment well and
laughed about the situation. Just as he was about to leave, a young lad came
bounding up to the counter and said to Billy “Hey mate – what’s this
playing?” I breathed a sigh of relief – at last, a fan. Billy replied “It’s the
brand new album from Billy Bragg called Life’s A Riot, would you like a
copy? “F*** off”, he replied, “it’s the biggest pile of shite I’ve ever heard”,
and with that he left the shop, leaving us stunned, though seconds later we
both burst out laughing.

That evening at the Icicle Works gig, Billy told the HMV story. Six
months later in an interview with NME he re-told it and one year later he
did an interview with Q magazine and told the story again, so I am glad he
got something out of that day. A year later, Billy’s career had taken off, so
I took a chance and gave him a call and he agreed to do another PA. This
time he turned up, along with Andy McDonald, MD of Go-Discs (Billy’s
record label), and Andy Kershaw from Radio 1. As well as doing a signing
he treated the crowd to an impromptu concert.

 

 

The books of Graham Jones are available in record shops or online. The latest book The Vinyl Revival and the Shops that Made it Happen has been turned in to a film. It has just been released on DVD and is available in record shops or online. Distributed by Proper Music.

I also record The Vinyl Revival Record Shop Podcast. It contains lots of funny tales from the crazy world of record retailing. It is also available on Spotify.

Twitter: @Revival_Vinyl

My blog has over 100 features on record shops and vinyl.

grahamjonesvinylrevival.blogspot.com

For film screenings and talks contact Graham.at graham@lastshopstanding.co.uk


As the person who has visited more record shops than any other human, I often get asked my advice on buying turntables. I always say do not purchase a budget model. What is the point of buying one that costs the price of a few albums? The sound will not do the recordings justice. For a long time, I have recommended
Rega Turntables as they are superb quality at great prices. They got more brownie points for sponsoring 'Record Store Day' and manufacturing limited editions just for record shops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 100th Birthday HMV

Great Record Shops of Essex